Saturday, March 20, 2010

Networking - Steps Toward Building Your Career

As a mom entering continuing education and the workforce, I had the challenge of presenting myself while others who were younger had a head start. I was pleased to discover that age, creativity and common sense had benefits. One thing moms are good at is making the most of limited resources.
As I was seeking employment, I came up with the idea of contacting directors of non-profit organizations. I asked to treat them to lunch and hear about their programs. Each time, I would ask the person for another contact. I bought a lot of lunches. I built my resource file and learn from each person.
When I began applying for jobs, I obtained reference letters from each of the individuals I had built these working relationships with. The letters were wonderful. I had left an impression on them. After I obtained professional employment, not only did I use them as resources, I also became a resource for them as well.
When you desire to start your own program, a good way to get support is to begin by volunteering with an established program. Volunteering helps build your resume. You become known in the community. People will be watching to see if you are competent and dependable. This is a good way to start when facing obstacles such as lack of previous employment or a criminal record.
Another way to make yourself known is to submit articles for internet magazines. You will gain exposure with people who you otherwise would never have met. You never know when a door of opportunity will open. Save all your articles and compile for a larger work at a later date.
Once you learn the skill of networking, you will find that reaching your goals becomes easier when you have others you can draw from for advice. You can also become the one that others come to. That is a rewarding experience. Before you know it, you become the expert. We all have skills and talents to share. Each of is a resource to someone else.
Author, Laura Schroeder, has experienced life change first hand. She and her husband have three grown children and reside in Maryland. To join an online community of care, visit her website at http://lauramschroeder.com. There, you will see the blog, hear podcast stories and see offered available products. To contact Laura, email at laura@lauramschroeder.com.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Laura_Schroeder

No comments:

Post a Comment